2019-11-11

Speedbowl 3: Going Hypersonic at Margulis Depot

„If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough.“
Mario Andretti

Speedbowl 3 took place this weekend at Margulis Depot. This is not about bowling, while on speed, because that would be totally irresponsible. This is about bringing your spaceship to hypersonic speed and passing the residential area at Margulis Depot at low altitude, preferably between two condo towers. Which is a very adult thing to do.


I have heard some people hung out at the Depot to film, so I will have to check for video footage of the event. In case I find something good, I will include it in this article later. During the event I did not have time for watching, as I wanted to participate myself.

Many ships were destroyed by means of  not being able to accomplish the art of flying: "Throw yourself at the ground, but miss" was the basic idea in one of Douglas Adams' books. The missing seems to be the hard bit.

Also many ships crashed into the towers at the Margulis Depot installation. All in all it was a weekend of great fun for all participants. And while it seems that CMDR Sanderling may not be cashing in the fastest run this time, he definetely has won by doing the seemingly impossible: He did a valid run. Backwards. This shouldn't even be legal.

During the many tries I had to make, to even get close to the target (forward), I think I fell in love with the traffic control lady at the station greeting me "Zorgon Peterson Bravo-Papa-Tango, priority access will be granted upon request, welcome to this federal port...". By the time she said welcome I was usually already 45km away again, trying to slow down. But she never gave up and said it every time.

You can see my final approach on Youtube.

Find the Leaderboard of this years Speedbowl here.

No comments:

Post a Comment