2020-02-16

Low Gravity Speedbowling?

Because there is so much to find out about this game, some commanders of our squadron decided to found a dedicated science division.

Where questionable ideas lead to great explosions…. Meet the


Boonlabs Scientific Suicide Squad
(B3S)


   




We are planning an event on the planet right below our home station on the next weekend.

Today I had a bit of time to work on one of the questions that came up in our discord (I assume it was CMDR PrimtimeCasual): Can I speedbowl there?

The B3S deployed one of its highly trained monkeys (me) to find this out. I have picked the obvious ship to analyze this question, an unengineered stock Anaconda. This thing can usually reach speeds that are otherwise only seen in plate tectonics.

Roughly 200km above ground I switched off all flight assist system, pushed the thrusters to "full up", pointed the nose roughly 60° to the ground and started accelerating.

Speed increased a lot slower than on the usual speedbowling worlds and the angle of accelaration felt a lot tighter, but you can speedbowl on worlds <1g it seems - just a lot slower. But still you reach speeds your ship is normally not capable of getting to.

Picture of proof:



As you may be able to see on this picture I have reached 1005m/s at the time of screenshooting. After that I was a bit busy to not crash into that mountain right in front of me. Not the best choice of speedbowling alley here maybe.

So I am now looking very much forward to see commanders showing up to next weeks event at multiple times the speed of sound.

Further research is required from dedicated speedbowlers to find out whether the mediocre speed I have reached is due to me being bad at this, due to the questionable choice of ship or due to low gravity. I can't wait to see your reports on this.

1 comment: